Thursday 21 March 2013

The top 10.

Okay, so you should all know that I hate Thursdays. I hate everything about them. I have Law followed straight away by Psychology at college and then I finish at 20 to 3 and have to go straight to my dad's garden centre to start work at 3 o'clock which means I am always late due to my psychology teachers incapability to let us out just a few minutes early. Work in itself is a burden because I am not the type of person who enjoys being alone with nothing to do, maybe I'll use that time to write these posts in future? 

So, what I've decided is to do a weekly post about the top 10 music chart on a Thursday in an attempt to lessen my hatred for the retched day of the week. The decision was brought about for these posts when I was having a conversation with a friend about music not 5 minutes ago and I thought 'Yeah, I could write about music every week. Easy peasy'. We'll see how it goes.

Here we go then. I am going to go by the iTunes top 10 chart because everyone trusts apple (said the girl typing on the PC laptop. I have an iPhone though so I'm allowed to say that still).

10. One way or another (Teenage Kicks) - One Direction.
Okay so I must at this stage confess that I am a huge One Direction fan. I went to see them at the 02 arena a few weeks ago and it made my life. They sang this song when I went to see them and I listen to it on loop in the car for substantially long periods of time and in my opinion it's one of those that you just can't get tired of. I hated the Blondie original and Teenage Kicks on it's own isn't up there with my favourite songs but the combination of 1D's voices and these two songs seems pretty perfect to me.And it's all for charity so that means you can't hate it anyway.
10/10

9. White Noise - Disclosure
Being a religious Radio 1 listener, I have heard this song more times than I am willing to discuss. At first I was like 'oo yeah, what a banger. Rave, rave, rave' and now I'm all like 'Oh my god, get this offensiveness away from my ears'. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if you haven't heard it yet (which is unlikely as it is horrifically overplayed) then you should give it a whirl and have a little boogie. But if, like me, you've heard it over ten thousand times, it starts to get on your tits just a little. Saying that, I'm sure the next time I'm drunk in a club and it comes on, I'll scream like its my favourite tune and go and dance very badly to it. 
6/10

8. Ho Hey - The Lumineers
This one is pretty simple to talk about it because it is just so damn lovely! Ignoring the fact that all of The Lumineers' songs sound pretty much the same, their music is just so nice and happy! I realise that I just used two of the potentially most boring adjectives ever invented but that's my description. Plus, it's a nice little love song; and we all love a love song.
8/10


7. Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (ft. Aluna George)
Right so everyone I have spoken to absolutely adores this song. Here's my deal with it: I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. That's right, I don't know whether its because I am not exactly fluent in 'gangsta talk' or if I'm just being thick but I just don't understand what the hell Macklemore is talking about! To start with he says 'Wha' 32 times at the start of the song. 32 TIMES! Who on God's earth needs to say that word 32 times? Then he goes on to tell us that he is going to 'pop some tags', what does that mean?! I assumed it meant buy some designer clothes but considering he only has $20 in his pocket, I am unsure as to how he's going to pop anything but a balloon with that kind of money. Sorry guys, but I'm not impressed by this one. 
3/10

6. Ready Or Not - Bridgit Mendler
For a regular radio listener, I was surprised to find that I actually hadn't heard this song before. So I gave it a cheeky YouTube and I have to say that first impressions wern't great. I liked the lyrics I guess but it isn't the sort of thing I'd pay 99p for on iTunes. But then again, once I've heard it a few more times I'll probably be loving it. 
5/10

5. Pompeii - Bastille
Okay so I adore this song. Funnily enough, this was the song that me and a friend were talking about when I decided to write this post. I'm not sure if there is anyone else on this planet that will agree with me but I really think they sound like The Wanted and You Me At Six's lovechild! Anyone? No? Okay then. I think Pompeii is such a beautiful song, one of those tunes that you listen to on a sunny day when you're driving with your shades on in your bright yellow VW Beetle. Just me? Cool. Anyway, yeah Pompeii gets a thumbs up from me. So does Bastille.
9/10

4. When I Was Your Man - Bruno Mars
Is there anything that Bruno Mars does badly? Every song he releases seems to make the whole world fall in love with him just a little bit more. What amazes me about this song is that in it he is clearly admitting that he was obviously a pretty rubbish boyfriend and the break up was his fault for not bringing his girl flowers and giving her all his hours, yet we still hate the ex girlfriend! He seems to be the only person who is able to be the arsehole guy that's singing about how much of an idiot he was and still makes himself so unbelievably desirable. Good on you Bruno, you tha man.
9/10

3. Just Give Me A Reason - Pink
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. She's so lovely isn't she? Such a hard exterior but that girl is just so deep. This song is beautiful, I can totally connect with Pink. And it has Nate Ruess from FUN in it which totally bumps it up a few points. Not much else to say about this song if I'm honest, all I will add is that if you're a Pink fan you should listen to 'Glitter in the air' that song touches me on so many levels.
8/10

2. Mirrors - Justin Timberlake
Now you should know that I really am not in any way a JT fan. I hated his comeback song Suit and Tie and I am yet to listen to his new album. It's not really that I don't like his music, well... I don't like his music, but it's more to do with how much of a terrible actor he is. That just puts me off of everything else he does. Having said that, I love Mirrors! It's ridiculously catchy, the lyrics are good and it's so deep! I have spent 99p on that and what a worthy 99p. Excellent JT, good job!
10/10

And now for number 1. Drum roll please...

1. What About Us - Little Mix (feat. Sean Paul)
Well isn't this a catchy little tune?! I haven't always been a big Saturdays fan but I agree with the general population on this one. I kind of wish Sean Paul wasn't involved but I guess the combination of rapping and pop songs is a must if you're after a number 1 these days so I forgive you ladies. So yes, very good choice for number 1. 
9/10

There we have it people! The low-down on the top 10. Enjoy your week of music and we'll re-group next Thursday. Same time, same place. I'll be here. 




No comments:

Post a Comment